Harris-Courage & Grady, PLLC
14 Legitimate Ways to Work From Home
Working from home appeals to many people. Unfortunately, the “work from home” field is filled with scams, which can make some people wary to try it.
However, there are legitimate ways to make money from home. You can stay at home and still pay your bills. Try these options:
- Work for a call center. Some businesses want to take your call, but are too small to have bodies dedicated to answering the phones 24/7. You can work at home for a call center and receive those important calls.
- Be a consultant. Many small businesses don’t have a need for a full-time whatever-you-are. But they might need someone with your skills and knowledge for a short period of time.
- Transcriptionist. This type of work is available and can be worth your time if you can type quickly. Watch out for scams—you shouldn’t have to pay for training to become a transcriptionist.
- Freelance work. Writing articles, creating videos, performing search engine optimization, or creating graphics are just a few examples of freelance work that’s waiting for you.
- Teach a language. English is in high demand, particularly in Asian countries. Italki is one website that will allow you to take advantage of your English ability and make $20+/hour.
- Virtual assistant. The creativity of your employer will determine your tasks. You could be making travel plans, balancing the books, or researching chocolate cookie recipes.
- Rent a room in your home. If you have space you’re not using, consider monetizing it. There are several websites that will connect you with renters, both long-term and short. Check out Airbnb, HomeAway, and Flipkey.
- Be a juror. Lawyers will pay you to review a case and give your opinion. Think of it as a practice trial before heading to court. Ejury is one company that will pay you $5-$10 per case for your jurist skills.
- Test and review websites. User Testing is the most popular company for this type of work. You’re paid $10 for a 20-minute task. That’s $30 per hour if you stay busy.
- Take surveys. This field is full of scams, so be sure to check out the company before wasting your time. Never pay to join a survey organization. A few companies with good reputations include: Harris Poll Online, Pine Cone Research, and Swag Bucks.
- Mechanical Turk. This is a service provided by Amazon.com. You can perform small tasks for money. Most of the jobs are very quick and easy. The pay is very low per task, but you can complete multiple tasks per hour.
- Tutor at your home. It isn’t uncommon to earn $25/hour tutoring. There are also places to tutor online. Check out Chegg Tutors to start.
- Affiliate marketing. You can sell someone else’s product online and get paid for each sale. For example, Amazon.com has an affiliate program. There are many more.
- Pet sitting. You can earn $25/day or more for watching someone else’s pet. Unlike daycare laws, most areas don’t have a limit to how many dogs or cats you can keep in your home! Rover.com and Care.com are popular options.
If you find yourself between jobs or need to make some extra money, working from home can be both convenient and lucrative. The key is to ensure that any companies you’re working with have a good reputation.
Some work-at-home jobs can be done in your spare time to bolster your income, and others can provide a full-time income if you’re willing to work hard. Choose the job (or jobs) that are best for you!