Harris-Courage & Grady, PLLC
6 Easy Ways to Get in Shape Without a Gym Membership
Many people sign up for a gym membership when they want to get in shape, but you don’t need to do that. Gyms are expensive and can be inconvenient to get to. Don’t waste your time and money on a gym membership if you aren’t really going to use it. Try one of these 6 inexpensive and convenient ways to get in shape.
- Walk. Nothing could be cheaper or more convenient than putting on shoes and walking. You can do it wherever you are. In addition to setting aside some regular walking time, you can find ways to increase your steps within your daily routine. Park a little farther from the office door, or take the stairs instead of the elevator.
- Calisthenics. Pushups, sit-ups, and squats are some of the more commonly known calisthenics exercises. There are hundreds of exercises you can do without any equipment at all. If you can’t easily lift your body weight, you don’t need to go out and purchase weights. You can do your strength training by moving your own body.
- Jump Rope. Jump ropes are extremely inexpensive, and jumping rope doesn’t require a lot of space. It’s wonderful aerobic exercise. Just five minutes of jumping rope every day will improve your physical condition.
- Hike. Spring is coming, so it’s a great time to get outside. There are wonderful trails in Central New York. Get outside and enjoy the beauty of nature!
- Purchase Used Exercise Equipment. If you like the gym because of the exercise equipment it offers, check Craigslist and see what you can find. There are many people selling lightly used exercise equipment. You can likely find your favorite equipment for less than the cost of a year’s gym membership. You’ll also save the time and money you would have spent getting to the gym.
- Volunteer. Volunteering helps the community and can give you a good workout while you’re doing it. Try building a house with Habitat for Humanity. Food banks need people to move boxes around. Cleaning up litter is something anyone can do. There are many ways you can volunteer and be active at the same time.
It’s important to be in good physical shape, and it doesn’t have to be expensive. Try adding one of these inexpensive exercise ideas to your routine, and watch your health improve!