Harris-Courage & Grady, PLLC
Keeping Your Self-Esteem After a Job Loss
Losing your job can be devastating. Many of our clients have gotten into debt because of an unexpected job loss.
However, you can find the strength to recover from a tragic job loss.
When you focus on developing positive self-esteem, you’ll be able to think clearly and confidently so you can figure out what your next steps are going to be. You may even use this new opportunity to finally go for your dream job!
Try these tips to keep your self-esteem intact:
- Give yourself time to grieve. A job loss can cause the same shock as other types of loss and you should expect to go through the standard stages of grief. Allow yourself time to absorb the situation.
- Look for a support system. You might feel alone after losing your job. Be sure to fight this feeling and, instead, rely on your support system. Remember: it’s okay to ask for help, that’s what your support network is for!
- Stay motivated. After the shock has worn off, it’s important to strive for enthusiasm and motivation to find another job. You need to believe in yourself and trust that things will turn out for the best. Remember that your new job might be even better than your last one!
- Look for a new job. When you’re ready to start the search, consider all of your options. Consider your job loss as a new opportunity. Maybe you’d like to try taking your life in a different direction.
- Watch your finances. When you deal with job loss, you must also deal with the financial realities. Determine your current financial situation and how long you have until you must return to work. Cut back expenses where you need to. Include your family in the process of creating your financial plan.
New Life: New Opportunities
After dealing with job loss, the best thing you can do is to think of it as a new opportunity in life. Don’t be afraid to take risks. Also, don’t be afraid to adopt the attitude that everything happens for a reason. Bad things happen in life, but good things happen too. Stay strong for yourself and your family and your self-esteem will prevail.