Harris-Courage & Grady, PLLC
Reduce Your Heating Bill!
Energy prices in New York State are high. At this time of year it can be difficult to stay warm and also stay within your budget. Check out these tips to keep warm without breaking the bank.
- Turn down your thermostat. Turning the thermostat down just one degree for 24 hours can save you 3% on your energy costs.
- Using a space heater in the room where you spend the most time will allow you to keep the rest of the house at a lower temperature while still feeling comfortably warm.
- Turning the thermostat down at night while you sleep can save you more than 10% on your heating costs. Add an extra blanket to your bed, and you probably won’t notice the temperature difference at all.
- A programmable thermostat can even pop the heat back on to warm up the house right before your alarm goes off each morning.
- Reduce your spending on hot water. Hot water makes up nearly 20% of the average household’s utility costs.
- You can install a timer to turn off the water heater while you sleep or while you’re working, so you don’t pay for hot water you don’t need.
- Repair leaks. Hot air that leaves through the cracks significantly increases your energy spending.
- Fixing broken windows, adding extra caulk around the window sash, and replacing weather stripping on doors will quickly reduce your heating bill.
- It’s also a good idea to have your heating ductwork inspected to make sure it isn’t leaking.
- Check your electrical outlets on your exterior walls. If they’re drafty, you can add caulk beneath the cover plate.
- Cover your windows. Windows often create the coldest places in the house.
- Insulated curtains can keep out cold from the windows.
- You can also buy plastic film kits to place over windows or glass doors. They’re inexpensive, easy to install, and can make a big difference for the warmth of your home.
- Take advantage of the sun. If the sun is shining, open the curtains and let it in. You may also want to prune bushes or branches that are blocking south-facing windows. The sun will heat your home, and it’s completely free.
These strategies will help you save money while keeping your family warm this winter.