Harris-Courage & Grady, PLLC
Save Money without Sacrificing Your Lifestyle
Want to have it all – live the same way you currently do, and save more money at the same time? Saving more money will require making some changes, but they don’t have to be dramatic.
Here are six small changes you can make that will increase the money in your bank account:
- Transportation. You don’t have to give up driving your car to save money on transportation. Try grouping your errands together so that you make fewer trips. You’ll save money (and time) by not going back to your house in between.
- Restaurants. Many finance gurus recommend not eating out to save money. You can still go out to eat and save money at the same time. Go with a coupon so you spend less than you would have. Try sharing an entrée instead of buying two and throwing away the leftovers—restaurants almost always serve more food than you can eat. Eliminate your beverage cost by drinking water. You can also try eating at home and then going out just for dessert.
- Groceries. You can still eat all the foods you love and spend less with a little planning. Make a weekly menu and limit yourself to one trip to the grocery store per week. That will prevent you from buying too much food and then throwing it away when it goes bad. Check online before you go for coupons at places like Coupons.com or Ibotta.
- Budget. Living within a budget doesn’t mean you can’t have fun or spontaneity. It just means you make a plan for your money so fun doesn’t cause you to get into debt. Budgeting puts you in control of your money. Include saving for an emergency fund in your budget so that big unexpected expenses don’t get you into serious debt.
- Fees. Are you throwing away money on late fees and overdrafts? Stop. Make a plan to pay your bills on time, every time, so you don’t throw any more money away. It’s easy—a simple addition to your regular schedule that will save you tons of money.
- Energy. Did you know that adjusting your thermostat by just one degree can save you 3% on your energy bill? Change your thermostat to be a little cooler in the winter and a little warmer in the summer and watch your savings add up.
Saving money can be easy and doesn’t have to dramatically change your lifestyle. Try these 6 easy tips and see how much you can save.